Are your feet tired a lot? Do you have excess tension in your hips, legs or back? These may be signs your muscles like to tighten up.
The good news is there is a simple trick you can do at home to help relieve tight muscles.
Use a tennis ball as a tool for releasing tightness and discomfort.
When we allow tension patterns to build, they cause restricted range of motion, decreased muscle strength and chronic pain. It’s very important to flush them out.
For relief of tight muscles, simply follow these instructions:
- Place a single tennis ball underneath your heel.
- Keeping your hips as level with one another as possible (you may have to bend your leg), and begin rolling your foot forward and back on the ball.
- Press into the ball as much as feels comfortable.
- Stop and breathe at any specific tight spots and let your weight sink into the ball to release tension in your muscles and connective tissue.
- Try rolling for about a minute and a half on each foot.
Using the tennis balls combined with slow movement, your breath, and awareness can help you release trigger points, tissue adhesions and muscular tension from your body.
While we often believe more benefits to come from fast-paced fitness, slow movement exercises have a lot to offer. The key is pairing slow and steady movements with a sense of mindful body awareness. Read more about what this involves and emerging research on the subject in this recent article.