Are you sabotaging your sweet dreams without even realizing it? These three research-based tips can help start preparing you for sleep before your head even hits the pillow.
Other helpful sleep tips include:
- Say no to caffeine after 2 p.m.
- Avoid drinking alcohol before bed.
- Keep your bedroom cool and dark.
- Exercising regularly can help you to sleep, just make sure it’s not right before bed.
- Lighten up on late night meals — a big meal at 9:30 p.m. isn’t a great idea.
- Take a hot bath before bed. The rise and then fall in your body temperature helps induce sleep.
- Do some light reading (try a book or anything paper-based such as a magazine, not your smartphone or other device) before you fall asleep.
- And if you need to make up for lost sleep, take a power nap. People who napped for 10 minutes were more alert and had sharper thinking than people who napped for 30 minutes. (Tietzel AJ, Lack LC. Sleep 2001;24:293-300.)